Wheelchair users need chairs that fit and work well where they live. A local organization operating with a sustainable business mindset creates not only a local supply of good chairs but a place for good provision, user and provider training, repair and, follow-up services, and disability community development. Because a WPAC is rooted in the local community and is a sustainable social business, it is set to provide a world-class level of support to wheelchair riders.
- Does your organization have a proven record of service to people with disabilities?
- Is committed to excellent wheelchair provision?
- Is capable of running a sustainable business?
If you answered “yes” to these three questions then you might be interested in establishing a Wheelchair Provision and Assembly Center (WPAC). Some WPAC applicants will qualify for USAID assistance to off-set the start-up costs including the purchase of the first container of RoughRider wheelchair parts, training in WHO wheelchair service standards, and consulting services in provision and business management. WPAC partner organizations are responsible for assuming remaining costs of the business including salaries, benefits and rent. Please note that the USAID funding mentioned in the video is no longer available.
If you are interested, please start your Application now using the form below.
Apply to Start a WPAC
How We Select WPAC Sites
WPAC Selection criteria
A qualified WPAC business or organization will have:
- A business plan that shows an ability to achieve success in wheelchair provision, marketing, management, and technical processes
- A vision and strategy to build a sustainable network of partner organizations which are trained to meet World Health Organization Guidelines On Wheelchair Provision (Please see Sections 3 & 4 in particular)
- An initial demand of at least 800 wheelchairs per year and have the marketing capacity to increase demand in the future
- A capability to import wheelchair parts and have a track record of managing projects with earned income from sales
- A track record of managing projects with earned income from sales of products
- And experience using quality control methods is preferred.